New Research from SocialChorus Reveals Key Drivers of Employee Engagement: Personalization, Targeting and Customized Content
Video has three times higher engagement rates than other forms of content
See press release here.
SAN FRANCISCO, June 19, 2018 — SocialChorus, a global workforce communications platform, today announced results from its 2018 Comms Effectiveness Survey, which highlights how companies with the right tools effectively capture and maintain employee attention and engagement. SocialChorus surveyed 840 end-users of the SocialChorus platform and analyzed activity across its global programs with data from more than 1.5 million employees worldwide, including engagement with mobile apps, emails and push notifications.
Large enterprises face ongoing challenges including brand reputation, employee retention and changing employee expectations for the work experience. Further, the increasing number of deskless and distributed workers require that organizations find a better way to connect with an increasingly dispersed workforce.
At the heart of these shifting dynamics is employee communications. SocialChorus’ new report, the “2018 Comms Effectiveness Survey,” asserts that as enterprises adjust to this new climate, modernizing their employee communication and engagement strategies is critical to maintaining organizational alignment. The findings highlight that employees expect a similar experience in their work lives as they do in their personal lives. They want news and company information that is concise, relevant, and easy to access and consume.
Key findings from the survey include:
- Mobile apps are table stakes for reaching any worker—from the front line to the head office: Two-thirds of workers found their company app easier and faster than other content sources, such as their intranet, email and printed materials.
- Concise videos lead to greater engagement: Video has three times higher engagement than other types of content and contributes to keeping 53 percent more employees as active users after their first 30 days.
- Personalization is central to content engagement: Personalization drives more frequent use and a higher rate of retention. Users who personalize their content feeds are four times more likely to be using a company app after 90 days, and which also leads to highly active “Power Users.”
- When it comes to content, one size does not fit all: Targeting communications to different groups helps organizations personalize their messages and drive desired actions. People engage more with content that is relevant to them; the survey indicates nearly double the click-through rate with targeted channels.
- Push notifications are a quick way to keep employees informed: 66 percent of iOS users opt in to receive push notifications, which is significantly higher than the 40-percent industry average.
“Our study underscores the shifts we are seeing in the employee experience and how organizations can no longer rely on a single tool or method to effectively reach and engage all employees,” said Sonia Fiorenza, vice president of communications and engagement strategies at SocialChorus. “Ultimately, organizations that thrive will not only be equipped with the right communications tools, but can also quickly adapt to changing employee needs and reach every employee, at the right time with the right message.”
SocialChorus analyzed data across its global programs looking at data from 1.5 million employees in 20+ industries from 180+ countries in all 50 U.S. states and 6,400 cities. We looked at hundreds of millions of user events daily: emails, push notifications and content shares, as well as a user survey from 840 employees across 15 customer programs.
SocialChorus is the leading workforce communications platform transforming how workers and organizations connect every day. We empower communicators to reach every worker—from the head office to the front line. Companies thrive and win when all their workers feel informed, valued, and engaged. The SocialChorus platform allows communicators to publish once and distribute everywhere—efficiently delivering critical information to the right employee at the right time. SocialChorus customers include some of the world’s largest global brands including AB InBev, The Dow Chemical Company, Aptiv, Kohler Co., Caterpillar, 7-Eleven, Estee Lauder Companies, and PVH Corp. Learn more at http://www.socialchorus.com/.